- The time-lapse captures the set up of the British Fashion Council (BFC) show tent at London Fashion Week between 5pm, 5th September until 7pm, 8th September
- To create the video over 4000 frames were taken on a Canon EOS-1D Mark IV with a TS-E 24mm f/3.5L tilt shift lens
- The Canon EOS-1D Mark IV features a Dual “DIGIC 4” processor which provides the power to shoot continuous, high-resolution images at up to 10 frames per second (fps), as well as delivering the widest ISO range to feature in a Canon camera
Canon at London Fashion Week
- Canon is the principal sponsor of London Fashion Week for the tenth consecutive season
- Canon Professional Services (CPS) is a membership based programme designed to provide information and support for Canon professional photographers and videographers
- At Somerset House, the home of London Fashion Week, Canon is hosting a CPS centre for all accredited photographers.
- In the centre, which leads directly out to the photographers' pit within the official BFC show space, Canon ensures attending photographers have everything they need from loan equipment and repairs, to internet access and printers, along with a dedicated team of Canon support technicians.
London Fashion Week statistics
- London Fashion Week (LFW) runs from Friday 17th – Wednesday 22nd September. A full schedule can be found here: http://www.londonfashionweek.co.uk/catwalkschedule_new.aspx
- Over 70 photographers and 30 broadcasters fill the photographers’ pit at the end of the catwalk
- Over 5,000 visitors (buyers, TV & radio crews, journalists and photographers) are expected to visit the LFW exhibition and up to 10,000 will attend LFW altogether.
- There are 66 designers on the catwalk as well as 23 designers showcasing their collections as part of the dedicated presentation and digital schedules
- Over 180 exhibitors are at the LFW exhibition
- In February, 2009, 22 per cent of the total press accreditations granted by the British Fashion Council to London Fashion Week were given to bloggers/websites. This year, the number has increased to 33 per cent (Feb ‘10).
- Directional Swedish brand Acne is featuring on the catwalk schedule for the first time
- Giles Deacon is also returning to show in London after two seasons in Paris
- The direct value of the UK fashion industry to the UK economy is nearly £21 billion according to a major new research study released today (‘Value of the UK Fashion Industry’ report, commissioned by the British Fashion Council and conducted by Oxford Economics
- The report also found that the fashion industry directly employs 816,000 people across a wide range of jobs and is the largest employer of all the creative industries
- Media coverage equals or exceeds most major news and international sporting events and worldwide media coverage is worth over £70m each season (source: Cision)
Frankie Jim, Pro Imaging Professional, Canon UK & Ireland
“The time-lapse footage shows the effort and manpower that goes into the set up of London Fashion Week. In only 74 hours, the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV captures the transformation of Somerset House, from an empty courtyard to the construction of the BFC show space, ready to hold over 5000 models, designers, journalists, buyers and photographers over six days”
“To capture the footage we used a Canon EOS-1D Mark IV digital SLR. This is the ideal camera for the job as the dual “DIGIC 4” processor enables fantastic still images throughout the day and night.”
“With over 100 photographers and videographers descending on London Fashion Week, it’s important to provide the support they may need through our dedicated Canon Professional Services Centre to leave them free to concentrate on the most important aspect of their job - shooting fashion images”
“As with fashion, ‘Image’ is at the heart of Canon’s business and this is why Canon and Fashion are ideal partners. Canon recognises the power of image and our technologies are an integral part of helping to deliver outstanding results throughout the Fashion industry, enabling professional photographers to capture striking images both on and off the catwalk”
About Canon (UK) Limited
Canon (UK) Ltd is the UK & Ireland marketing and sales operation for the global company, Canon Inc., based in Tokyo, Japan and it employs around 1,450 people.
Founded in 1937, with the specific goal of making the best quality cameras available to customers, Canon’s tireless passion for the Power of Image has since extended its technology into many other markets and has established it as a world leader in both consumer and business imaging solutions. Its solutions comprise products ranging from digital compact and SLR cameras, through broadcast lenses and portable X-ray machines, to multi-function and production printers, all supported by a range of value added services.
Canon invests heavily in R&D to deliver the richest and most innovative products and services to satisfy customers’ creative needs. From amateur photographers to professional print companies, Canon enables each customer to realise their own passion for image.
Canon believes that considering the interests of society and the environment is an integral part of good business practice and this is embodied in its corporate philosophy Kyosei - ‘living and working together for the common good’.
Further information about Canon (UK) Ltd is available at: www.canon.co.uk or visit the Canon Press Centre http://www.canon.co.uk/About_Us/Press_Centre/index.asp